This is a light, fluffy and easy mousse dessert made with mämmi.
This dessert is perfect for those who have not tasted mämmi before since the rye is more subtle, and you have flavors of vanilla in this dessert.
Read also my post about common foods on the Finnish Easter table.
What is mämmi?
Mämmi is a traditional Finnish dessert eaten usually around Easter. It is actually a rye porridge made from rye flour and malted rye that sweetens naturally in the making process; this is called imellytys. In history, mämmi was made in small birch bark boxes.
Typically mämmi is eaten cold with some heavy cream or full-fat milk. Nowadays, the trend is to include mämmi in different desserts during Easter.
- Whippable vanilla sauce
Not all vanilla custards can be whipped to a foam. If you have a hard time finding whippable vanilla sauce, you can use whipped heavy cream. With the heavy cream, add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or ½ cup of vanilla custard powder with the cream.
Finnish stores have various vanilla sauces since we love to eat them with all pies and desserts; this might be hard to find in the USA. One brand you can try out for this recipe is Oatly. They have an oat-based milk-free whippable vanilla custard.
Some decoration ideas
- Small chocolate eggs
- Chocolate birds nest
- Pineapple cherries
- Conserved peaches
- Cookie crumble
Other Finnish dessert ideas
- Korvapuusti cinnamon rolls
- Finnish flat pancakes with cream and strawberry jam
- Pannukakku oven pancake
- Rhubarb soup
- Caramel cake
- 1 cup whippable vanilla sauce
- 1½ cup mämmi rye porridge
- 1 package pineapple cherries
- Make sure both your mämmi and vanilla sauce are chilled in the fridge.
- Whip your vanilla sauce to a firm consistency.
- Add in your mämmi and stir it to be even.
- Serve in glasses and decorate with pineapple cherries, chocolate, berries or small chocolate eggs.
Leave a Reply